Chitika

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Follow up to Hiring the RIGHT Employees


Follow up to Hiring the RIGHT Employees
We have received several posts and questions from our readers in regard to our last blog.  With all the questions, I wanted to take time in this article to give everyone an idea of my experience and a few “real life” examples.  For the past 21 years, I have been managing people and building teams.  I have led teams from 50 to 700, and had up to 48 direct reports during the last few years of my career.
In addition to the number of associates, I have led teams with local geography and in 5 separate states.  I would estimate that in my career I have interviewed and hired over 500 people.  So, trust me I have made many mistakes to learn from.  
Our desire at is to use our experience to help all business owners as they grow, expand, or start their business.  I don’t think anyone would be interested in making a mistake if they could avoid them.
Especially when it comes to hiring associates, it can be extremely expensive to hire/re-hire over and over.
In my last blog, I mentioned some of the common “errors” that I have made (and I know that when talking with other leaders they have too) was not doing my homework.
In this day and age, it is so simple to open up the internet and Google, Facebook, or LinkedIn potential candidates.  I have failed to do so and after hiring them and being disappointed in attendance, took the time to look them up in Facebook, and low and behold, they were on Facebook, as “party animals”.  No wonder they don’t show up to work, they are too busy updating their Facebook page.  
The most interesting recent hire, was of an executive that I was excited to hire.  They had great experience; they knew the business very well.  But, they were very casual in the interview.  Not only their dress, but also their conversation took on a very casual conversation.  I remember thinking to myself that it the candidate was too presumptuous and acted like a long time friend.  Even with this, I hired the candidate.  Within the first 30 days, I had numerous complaints on dress attire, attitude with clients where I actually had a client call me to tell me that rather than talking to a manager, they were treated in a non-professional “laid back” manner which they did not expect from the position they were speaking to.
Point being, if you are thinking in your head that something is wrong, THERE PROBABLY IS.  Don’t do it.
Are you too Desperate?
Another point, I am not sure if I even touched upon one major issue that faces businesses today, and that is hiring out of desperation.  Too many times in my career, I have been forced to “settle” for someone that I knew was not a perfect fit just because anyone breathing is better than nothing.  BAD DECISION.  Trust me, many times; a vacant spot is a much better performer than the wrong person.  Don’t allow yourself to get or act desperate.  I know if you are like me you are thinking right now, “easy for him to say”.  But I feel that I have made that mistake more than a few times and it bites me every single time.
Never Pigeon-hole yourself:
What do I mean by this?  When interviewing for a leadership role, keep in mind that some people think they may be ready for the job.  The truth is, that many people think they are ready, and they may be, but not right now.  I can think of one of the best people that I have ever hired.  She was an aggressive young candidate, but with limited experience.  She showed so much promise, that I made an offer for a lesser position, she accepted, rapidly moved up and is now a key executive in the organization.  Always keep in mind that people may not be ready for the position you are hiring for, but might be soon.  KEEP YOUR MIND OPENED!!
I think that my biggest point in this follow up is to say this.  Hiring is the single most important duty you will ever have.  I have consulted with companies that have had training and seminars, and they fail to grasp the importance of taking the time to do their homework, hire right the first time, and teach others how to look for great associates.  Usually, when I have conducted seminars for groups, it only takes about 30 minutes to walk through all the steps.  
The time comes in taking each of the steps, putting them into action and applying them to every hiring decision that you make.
If you have any questions, please contact me at my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment