Chitika

Monday, January 10, 2011

Things Keep Getting in my Way

Don’t you hate it when you have a great plan and life happens to not change with you?  Normally at the beginning of a new job, new year, or new phase in my life, I like to mix things up.  It just seems funny to me that when I decide to change others don’t change with me automatically.  (I don’t think that way, but isn’t that a thought that you have had?)

OK, so I have a new vision for my daily work routine.  I am going to get organized, I am going to start and end my day with a to do list.  I also want to add some personal growth time every morning along with my new routines.  Then LIFE HAPPENS
  • The Phone rings
  • Someone Calls (not scheduled)
  • Emails start coming 
  • Instant Messaging start

Before you know it, you are 15 projects deep and not one thing of your to do list is done.It would be so easy to say, “I have no control, I have to do these things”.  The better answer is,  I am going to control my own day, and I am not going to do anything out of priority order.  OK, now that I have said that, how do we make it happen?  

Here’s how:
Think about when you are on vacation, people in your office or business are able to get things done without contacting you.  Obviously they can do things themselves.  They can live without you for an hour, so as you start your day:  
  • Do not open your email
  •  Do not open Instant Messenger
  •  Do not surf the web
  • Silent your cell phone (better yet, turn it off )


  • Grab your to do list.  Does it still make sense in the order in which you have it?  If not make adjustments
  • Spend 15 minutes on personal growth.  Read a book, read an article you have printed out from online.  (DO NOT start searching online during this time.  You want this time to be very focused and spending time searching online could lead to variables and getting you off-track)
  • During this hour, take as many of your own personal to-do’s and get them done.  You have created a “do not disturb” zone for this hour, take advantage of it. 
      
As “wild” as this might sound, you will get more accomplished in this hour than any other hour of the day.  So you do this for one week.  Why not extend your “do not disturb” zone to an hour and a half?  Honestly, you will be amazed at how the people that have counted on you for all the answers will begin to figure out how to be self sufficient.  You will end up with additional time because when you do start to turn on your phone, email, IM etc., people will not be immediately drawn to you.

Seriously, think back to the early 1980’s when we didn’t have email, cell phones, texting.  People were able to get much more done and stay focused for longer periods of time. 
Stay focused on your tasks.  Don’t get caught up doing the same thing you have always done.  Zig Zigler says it best, "if you keep doing what you have always done you will keep getting what you have always gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment