Chitika

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sales Management in 2011


I have been getting a lot of questions lately about sales and sales management.  As everyone knows, how we get to the next level is much different now than even two years ago.
Our sales teams are smarter, our technology is better, and much of our consumer intelligence is almost immediate.
Over the next several articles I will talk about how I have adjusted my sales management techniques, and more importantly how my communication has changed.  
THEY CAN SEE YOUR FROWN IN YOUR EMAIL
Creating an environment for all sales teams, it is critical (as you know) that your messages be direct, short, and positive for the most part.  I laugh every time I get an email as I try to imagine in my head, “what did the persons face look like when they sent that message”.  How many of you have received an email, called the person to clarify and realize that your interpretation of the message was wrong?
In today’s sales environment, it is critical that you follow a few important steps:
  • Keep your message short and sweet  (3 short messages are better than 1 long email)
  • Use the subject line to let the team know what the message is about (so they can prioritize their reading)
  • Use Bullet points and numbering if instructions need to be followed
  • If it is a critical email, have someone proof read it.  Or, send it to yourself to see what it looks like when you see it the second time
  • Set the tone up front.  Most sales teams like to be recognized for what they are doing right before you ask them for more
  • Be consistent.  If your team knows that you are going to send messages at a certain time each day, you will ensure that your messages are read and responded to timely.  

Sales management today is very different.  Results are instant, communication is instant, feedback must be instant.  25 years ago, we used inter-office mail and phones.  Then fax machines became a given and our communication patterns changed.
Well now with Social Media our communications are on warp speed.  
Join us over the next few articles as we discuss:
  • How to deliver a new message
  • How to create excitement every day for your team
  • How to ensure everyone on your team is productive
  • How to create “anxious tension”
  • Celebrate Good Times (come on) threw that in for you music aficionados

I hope you enjoy this series, but I have an ask of you.  If any of you have ideas, suggestions or questions, please email them to me.  Click here to email me an idea or topic you would like to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment